Skip to main content

BORRASCA - Bagian 5 - Chapter 18 (English)

The clock read 1:32am. I turned the car on again. Kimber muttered her approval and laid her face next to the heater. She gently banged her forehead against the dashboard. “We’re getting fucking nowhere.” She said. And she was right. We had been arguing for hours and still agreed on nothing. The mission was suicide no matter how we went about it so we were really just arguing how many of us should die and in what order.

 “They’re going to kill you if they see you – period. Those guys have no reason to let you live.” I said.

“Yeah, I’m not arguing that. But how are you going to shoot anybody when you have one bullet and they know you’re coming anyway?”

“And they know about the bulletproof vest.” I added.

“And they know about the bulletproof vest!” She repeated. “Making it absolutely worthless.”

“Yep.” I leaned my head back against the headrest and closed my eyes. I just wanted to sleep.

“We need more time. At least another day.”

 “If we don’t come to them in the morning, they’ll come to us.” I murmured.

 “And kill us either way.”

“Right. We’re dead in every scenario.”

“Hmm.” Kimber suddenly sat up. “Unless…”

 I turned my head to look at her through one eye. “Unless what?”

“Unless we do something stupid.”

“Oh, Kimber, that ship has fucking sailed.”

“No, listen, I’m serious. You wear the vest – and you give me the gun.”

“Split up the vest and the gun?”

“Yeah, they won’t expect that.”

 “Yeah, because it’s fucking stupid. As soon as one of us pulls out the gun they’re going to get shot. So, if that’s the plan, I’d rather you wear the vest.”

“But I need the gun.” She countered.

“Then wear both.”

“No, that’s…that’s…” She was silent a moment. “Well actually, that’s pretty brilliant.” She finished.

  I gave her a dubious look.  “What are you thinking?”

“Hear me out. I’m going to get shot either way and that actually puts us at an advantage. Let him shoot me. And then once they’ve forgotten about me, and they’re not paying attention to me anymore, I’ll shoot him.”

“Well, you’re banking on the fact that they don’t search us when we get to Borrasca.”

“Yeah.”

 “And that they won’t just shoot you in the head.”

“Granted.”

“And also that they’ll shoot you at all, I mean they could just, you know, keep you there.”

“Okay.”

“And finally that Jimmy will – or even can – take control of the situation like he promised.”

Kimber nodded. “Okay. All acceptable risks.” She smiled.

“You’re high, Kimber.”

“I’m fucking not, but are you? Because for this to work I’m going to need you to Streep the shit out of this.”

“I wish,” I scoffed.

Kimber raised an eyebrow.

“That package didn’t have drugs in it, you know.” I said.

“What.”

“Sorry, but I couldn’t tell you at the time. You would have realized that I was going without you.”

“You are a dick, Sam Walker. So what did it have in it?”

I shrugged. “It was a care package from Seth. He sent me video cameras.”

“Why? For what?”

 “Remember the night I disappeared with the car for several hours?”

 Kimber’s eyes narrowed. “Yes.”

 “I used the directions Jimmy Prescott gave me to find Borrasca 2.”

“Please don’t call it that. Also, please tell me you’re fucking joking.”

“Sorry. And no, I’m not. I couldn’t see much or hear anything but I was there. I know the way. It’s the reason we’re parked on this road right now.”

“I can’t believe you went to Borrasca. I can’t believe you, Sam. That’s madness.”

“Yeah, I realized that too late. And the whole thing took me longer than it should have because I had to be fucking stealthy – which, I don’t’ know if you’ve noticed but I’m not a graceful person –  and I had to climb fucking trees to Velcro that shit down. Oh, and I had to fucking find the place.”

“So, holy shit, we’re going to have actual footage from the mine! It’s brilliant!”

“Not exactly. They’re…dummy cameras.”

What does that mean? They’re not real?”

“Yeah, they’re sold as like…deterrents.”

“But then…why would you risk that! Why even bother putting up deterrents?”

“To, you know, deter anyone from murdering me.”

“Oh. Goddamn it, I really wish they were real.”

“Yeah, me too. But there’s no way I could have installed something like that.”

“Fuck, if we had film we wouldn’t even need the Borrasca records.”          

 “Seth thinks that if we figure out where the files are he might be able to get in and download them.”

Kimber sighed. “So many ifs.”

“So you really want to get shot, huh?”

“I think it’s the best plan we’ve got. Maybe I’ll just stumble into camp later than you. You know, ‘get caught’. That way they’ll assume you have the gun and I was just being careless. Sam. Sam.”

She was shaking me. I had drifted off.

“Sam, wake up.”

“Wake up.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BORRASCA - Bagian 5 - Chapter 3 (English)

I didn’t remember dreaming but I knew I had. I woke up feeling like I’d run thirty miles; drenched in sweat and fighting to draw in air with raw, ragged breaths. I sat up on the couch and rubbed my face. What time was it? Why was I in the living room? Why did I feel a malicious black cloud looming over me like some sort of comic strip character? And then it all came back, crashing like waves over my head. Holy shit, Kimber was here. And she wanted something. I felt the fear shower me like ice cold rain as I recalled pieces of the night before. We were going back. Kimber’s bag was next to the door and she was sitting at the table reading one of Seth’s look-how-smart-I-am philosophy books. As I sat up I slid the evidence of my addiction under the couch with my foot, praying she hadn’t already seen it. “Morning, Sam,” Kimber smiled, without looking up from the book. “Why in the fuck are you so chipper. You remember where we’re going right?” “Yes.” She put the book down and looked ...

The Expressionless

Pada bulan Juni 1972, Seorang Perempuan muncul dirumah sakit "Cedar Senai". Perempuan itu memakai gaun putih. Gaun putih itu menutupi darah yang ada di badan perempuan tersebut. Perempuan itu muncul di rumah sakit dan orang-orang sekitar memperhatikan keanehan perempuan tersebut. Sampai-sampai orang yang memperhatikannya dapat muntah dan merasa tidak enak badan. Yang pertama dipertanyakan adalah, apakah ia benar-benar seorang manusia? Tubuh dan Mukanya lebih mirip mendekati seperti mannequin (manekin atau sesosok patung menyerupai manusia, baik dari segi bentuk badan, kaki, tangan, kepala, bahkan wajahnya bisa diserupai dengan wajah manusia aslinya) tetapi memiliki ketangkasan dan fluiditas manusia normal. Wajahnya sesempurna manekin, tanpa alis dan dioleskan make-up. Ada anak kucing dijepit di rahangnya sehingga tidak ada gigi yang bisa dilihat. Darah masih menyemprot di atas gaunnya ke lantai. Dokter kemudian menarik kucing itu keluar dari mulutnya, kemudia melemparny...

BORRASCA - Bagian 5 - Chapter 7 (English)

I could feel I was moving before I even opened my eyes. It was the gentle, swaying cadence of a car on the highway. Instead of coming awake slowly like I preferred I bolted upright in a panic. Kimber was driving and she didn’t look away from the road. “Are you okay?” I asked her. “No.” “I was…“ I was starting to remember what had happened on the mountain. “I’m- I’m sorry.” Kimber didn’t respond. “Did I walk to the car?” I was sure I knew the answer, but hoped I was wrong. “No. You were dragged to the car.” It was actually impressive that she could drag a full grown man through 200 yards of snow. I was constantly underestimating Kimber. “Look…” I rubbed my face and realized my hands were like ice. I laid them over the heaters on the dashboard. “I mean, the good news is that Borrasca is gone and no one is suffering anymore.” “No one?” She yelled. “Me. Me, Sam, I’m suffering!” Her voice was scratchy; it was obvious she had been crying, and judging by the current time, prob...